Friday, June 26, 2015

Why?

The reason I named my blog This and That is precisely because I write about this and that. Most of my blogs center around book reviews.  However, I periodically throw in something else. Today is a something else. Today's This and That is the review I just posted on the Vaseline website regarding Vaseline's product "Lip Therapy." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, I've been using Vaseline for years.  I have extremely sensitive skin and it's the only thing that doesn't make me break out or get hives.  Due to a few new issues, my dermatologist suggested that I only use Vaseline on my lips instead of chapstick and to even avoid those with all natural ingredients. Sooooo, I marched myself to the store and purchased a few small containers of Vaseline Lip Therapy, Original formula.  (a few because I keep one in my purse, desk, etc.)  When I got home, I took a closer look at the package and to my surprise and shock, what did I find? The ingredients in the Lip Therapy are petroleum & Yellow 5 Lake.  Why? Why? Why? Why?  If Vaseline's only ingredient is petroleum, why pray tell does the lip therapy include the yellow 5 lake? Some may say it's my fault for not reading the ingredients at the store, and you're probably right? But why would I?  Vaseline is a product I've trusted and used for years.  Also, the Lip Therapy looks EXACTLY like the Vaseline and is labeled Vaseline Original.  Why would I even question that there would be a difference?  So why am I so worked up?  

Here are some facts about Yellow 5 Lake according to the website Chemical of the Day: http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.com/todays-chemical/2009/7/7/fdc-yellow-5-aluminum-lake.html  
http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace.com/todays-chemical/2009/7/7/fdc-yellow-5-aluminum-lake.html

FD&C Yellow Aluminum Lake:

What is it?
This is an artificial color derived from coal tar.

Why is it a risk?
FD& C Yellow Aluminum Lake is known to be a reproductive toxin and hazardous to the nervous system. Also known as tartrazine, it's a suspected cause of asthma, dermatitis, and other allergic and inflammatory responses.

What type of products is it found in?
Eye shadow, blush, nail polish, mascara, lip balm, facial powder, lipstick, lip liner, sunscreens

I don't understand why this product, which goes on a very sensitive part of the face, should include Yellow 5 Lake.  I am very disappointed that Vaseline has chosen to include this ingredient in Vaseline's Lip Therapy.
I'll be looking for another product to replace it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment